Tubas on a Train

Tubas on a Train
(the prequel to Snakes on a Plane)

Friday, May 6, 2011

Hectic Week

Well folks, after monday, my practicing went down hill.  Not in terms of quality, but in terms of quantity.  This week has been so hectic that I have hardly had time to put the horn to my face.  I have played at school when I can, but my school duties have been intense enough that I haven't been able to get away to even get in a good warm-up.  So this week was kind of a wash.  Hopefully I can start fresh this weekend and get back on track.
Being a band director is not conducive to moonlighting as a performer...or at least preparing to be one.
I am reminded of a Bible verse.  I am pretty sure it was meant to be used as a synonym for choosing between wanting God and wanting material comfort, but it can just as easily be applied to my situation.
"No servant can serve two masters.  Either he will hate the one and like the other; or he will honor one and despise the other." Luke 16:13, Lamsa translation.


The moral and obvious thing to do is to follow through with my contract and perform my teaching duties.  Not just because I am legally obligated to do this, but because by not doing it, my students would not be able to have the best musical education that I can offer.  It would be difficult living with myself if I didn't try and give my kids a good musical experience.  But at the same time, the excerpts won't practice themselves.  So if I really want this job, I am going to have to work smarter AND harder to keep up with everything.

And probably stay off the internet (with the exception of my blog, of course).  What is it they say?  Oh yeah!!!!








Ain't it the truth, Ain't it the truth!





Oh well:-) Commencement is June 5th.  After that, it's smooth sailing.
YES!  Except it's not compensating...boo:-(

3 comments:

  1. Remember that you have only a few weeks left of school and then you will be home all day to do as you please (for the most part). Don't be too frustrated with the lack of practice this week because you have so little time left with your students. Work with them while you can, still practice, but spend your time helping them because next year you might not even have them. You don't know. (and if you do have them, they'll resent you for ignoring them towards the end of their previous school year.) Also--don't forget it was this last Tuesday that you had 4 hours of free time that you spent most of practicing. So it didn't really go downhill until Wednesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello sir,

    I am very intrigued by your photo of sousaphones on the front of a train. I am a sousaphone player and a historian and I would love to learn more about that picture. Do you know anything about that photo?

    ReplyDelete