Tubas on a Train

Tubas on a Train
(the prequel to Snakes on a Plane)

Friday, April 29, 2011

Articulation speed

Well, along with all of the goals I have posted below, I have also been spending a good amount of time each day dedicated to increasing my single tonguing speed.












Imagine the preceding rhythms being in one measure.  I play this rhythmic pattern starting on low Bb and work my way up the Bb concert scale, then go up a fifth to the F above the staff then descend back down to the Bb below middle C.  That is the articulation series that I have been using to try and increase my single tongue speed.  Today, after a couple weeks of practicing and building up strength in my tongue, I finally topped 132 bpm.  I actually was able to ALMOST get 136 bpm.  Which is awesome.  My goal at this time is 144 bpm.  When I first started, I was barely able to get 120 bpm.  So my tonguing is improving.  YAY!

I also have been dedicating a lot of time to my pedal range.  Ever since I REALLY started practicing again, I have noticed that my low range has been wimpy.  A few weeks ago, I couldn't even get a pedal F to come out.  Thankfully, my lips are starting to loosen up and and I can now hit a pedal E natural...but my notes below that are still elusive.  I need to be spending a lot more time with those notes as well as continue to establish the notes that I can already play.  They are not strong yet.

Triple tonguing is coming along.  So are scale patterns and Arban's Characteristic Study #1 is almost ready for me to record it so that I can fine tune some details.

My best excerpts are "Endearing Young Charms," "Molly on the Shore" (which is surprising considering I couldn't even get a high C consistently like I could in college until a couple of weeks ago), "Stars and Stripes," "Second Suite in F" and "First Suite in Eb."  "Benvenuto Cellini" still needs mega practice, as does the Schoenburg.  I need to spend some time with the dynamics and articulations of "Rocky Point Holiday," as well as work on my endurance for "Colonial Song."  I do pretty well until I get to the high half note Bb and half note B natural.  I run out of steam.  But it's not just tough  on endurance.  It is really demanding musically...but extremely satisfying to play.  It was one of excerpts that I had never heard until I started seriously working on them...but now that I know the piece, it is one of my favorites.  "Hungarian March" and "Roman Carnival" are really fun to play, but I need to practice my clarity and map out my breaths and basically find time to 'dig in' to those pieces.  The notes are easy enough, but the details are missing.
"Fiesta Del Pacifico" is intriguing to me because I am not quite sure what they are looking for with the excerpt.  It is easy enough to play, and I feel like I am playing it musically....buuuuuuut I can't help but have a nagging feeling that there must be something more.
"Jupiter" is okay.  Not great.  Just okay.
"Aegean Festival" is a pain in my side because I DON'T HAVE A HIGH D YET!  It's very exacerbating not being able to run the excerpt because I don't have the range to play it!  Ugh.  Hopefully that will change soon.  Lip flexibilities have been in the works now and should be bearing fruit any time.
"Toccata Marziale" is really fun to play but very demanding.  I need to slow it down from what I have been taking it so I can make sure I am getting all of the dynamic and style shifts.
Finally, the crazy loud excerpt from "Pines of Rome" has me a little worried as well.  Not because of the loudness (although that is something that I need to work on), but rather, the style.  In a recording I have of an orchestra playing the piece, the notes are played detached.  Yet when I try it on my euphonium, it doesn't sound so good...sooooooooo...that will be something I ask my teachers about.

Happy practicing to everyone out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment