Tubas on a Train

Tubas on a Train
(the prequel to Snakes on a Plane)

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Same Mouthpiece, Different Horn, New Sound

On Tuesday, I received my new mouthpiece from Quinlan and Fabish Music Company.  I ordered it a couple of weeks ago, but at first, they brought the wrong one (they ordered a small shank, and the Willson 2900 takes a european shank).  So they had to special order it from the Schilke Supplier and it took a couple weeks to come in.

So when it came in yesterday, I was REALLY excited because I had been playing on my Yamaha with a large shank 51D.
(Yamaha 642S)













(Willson 2900S)

















It's crazy that just a small difference in the bore requires a totally different mouthpiece.

However...I LOVE IT!

I recorded myself for my wife on my Sony MiniDisc Player/Recorder (I bought it before digital recorders were on the market).  She said I sound fantastic...and I can't believe the sound that I hear on the recording.  The notes just POP out.  It makes my Yamaha sound dull and thick...even with the same style of mouthpiece.  I am VERY happy with this horn.  Now to just make sure I have a consistent sound in all parts of my range.

No comments:

Post a Comment